Introductions
Posted by
This thread is for us to get to know each other. Feel free to post anything other members may find interesting about you and your writing career. Welcome to the group!
Replies
  • Hi everyone!  I'm Astra and I'm a born and bred Canadian - though a first generation one of Latvian descent.  I spent some time in the US for school and work but have lived most of my life somewhere in southern or eastern Ontario.  I've made Ottawa my home for the last 11 years.  I work in HR for a small scientific publishing company. So, no, I am not a professional writer but have dabbled in blogging for about 2 years now (www.thedustbunnychronicles.com).  My vast published works consist of one article for the Ottawa Citizen newspaper on a family Lent project (which sparked my writing bug!).  My goal is to write a hockey momoir (am hockey mom of 3) or an anthology of hockey mom essays... may not be too literary but would be truly Canadiana!  Looking forward to stopping by from time to time....  ~A

• Thanks for the invite Diane.  I recently moved to the Okanagan Valley from Victoria.  As beautiful as Victoria is, it is a bit of a relief not to have to deal with ferries after 15 years!  My writing is moving into high gear since I have decided not to return to real estate - at least for the time being.  I have written a real estate book and currently I keep a real estate blog up to date - http://askvibrownrealestate.blogspot.com, revamping a short story, writing for some on-line magazines, marketing and promoting an artist, researching material for a new book, doing some editing and will be a contributing writer for a national print magazine as of the June issue.  I'm enjoying every writing moment!  I'm also looking forward to spring and summer in the Okanagan Valley - I moved here near the end of last year and missed it all.

I hope to meet many of you over the next few months and make some good connections.

• Hi, Diane.

Thanks for the welcome.  Looking forward to the discussions, and meeting other members of the Writers in Canada group.

I got a head start to my writing career when my pioneer grandmother began a correspondence with me when I was ten years old.  My works so far are based in the Pacific Northwest, where I grew up.  The stories are definitely 'Canadiana' and are humourous looks at life.  My first book is P.S. Don't Tell Your Mother.  My second book, Queen of the Gated Community, is at the final edit stage.  I've got a third book just pushing its way out, and am writing a cookbook, Favourite Recipes From Marge's Diner ... Hundreds Served! 

Have been in the public relations business since 1980, and operated my own firm since 1986.  Represented British Columbia's Professional Fire Fighters' Burn Fund (charity) for over fourteen years. 

This year, switched from full time PR/Publicity and very little writing to mostly writing and some PR contract work. 

I live with my husband near the seaside town of White Rock, about 30 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia.  

Here's a link to my website: http://margobates.com/.

/Margo

• Welcome, Antoinette! What do you mean, "you're taking a shot?" What have you changed in your writing life? I'm interested to know.

djw

• Hi all, 

I've been living and working in Toronto for almost four years now, but am originally from New Brunswick. I also lived in Kitchener-Waterloo for 7 years, prior to moving to TO (looks like Amy and I have a few things in common!).

I'm a social researcher/evaluator, which means I do lots of technical/academic writing, but have been trying to find my own personal writing voice for years. At the nudging of my husband and some supportive friends, I finally started a blog a few months ago, which I've found to be a great way of developing a regular writing practice, and learning to open up and be vulnerable. I'm learning so much about myself in the process. 

My blog focuses on spirituality and what I'm learning as I move away from my Catholic roots, towards spiritual beliefs and practices that feel more like me. It's called "the spirit that moves me: love, lore & lessons learned", and my goal right now is one entry per week (which doesn't always happen, but I try!): http://thespiritthatmovesme.blogspot.com/

Looking forward to getting to know the group!

Kristen.

• Welcome Amy! Don't worry about being American--you seem to have the credentials to be considered multi-national. I was born in Canada and my heart and soul have never left, though I find myself living in San Francisco and can't seem to leave (weather, wine, work, and love!). It sounds as if you have tons of rich material to write about. The key to becoming a writer is to write. Just start in and don't stop. The rest will take care of itself. Best of luck!
  • Hi Amy and thanks for your interesting post. During the few months I've been part of She Writes there seems to be a continuous thread women throughout everything - the need for encouragement and support from other women. I think you've come to the right place Amy! May this website empower you to do what you've always wanted and assist you find expression from your rich resources. P.S. My son lives in Nashville, so I would say it's an even trade! P.P.S. I live in Barrie.
  • Hi Eileen, it sounds like you have had a wonderfully interesting life and are continuing to evolve. I have some health conditions that don't permit me to work anymore, but like you I write wherever and whenever. I also am a cat lover. I have a large Persian cat. Two of my grown children live in Toronto and I live in Barrie. Welcome to She Writes and welcome to this group. Looking forward to your participation.
  • Hi Everyone. I am an American living in Kitchener, Ontario. I took a leap of faith a few years ago and followed my significant other, first, to New Brunswick, then to Ontario, where he now works at the University in Waterloo. I have been working in various facets of education online since then and am looking forward to permanent residency and a work permit in a few months! Like many of you, I have wanted to be a writer for a long time. My interest has always been in non-fiction writing. I even earned an M.F.A. degree in New York. However, writing -- not to mention the thought of publication -- has always been an intimidating vocation for me. After my graduate school experience, I filled my life with teaching and other concerns and left myself no time to write. The work that pays has always been an easy excuse to run away from my fears. I have lived around the world , from South Africa, to Israel, to England and Nigeria. I had so many stories to tell, and yet I didn't tell them. My choice to move to Canada, and to restrict myself to online work from the States, surprisingly nudged me to re-commit to writing. I am still trying to find my feet and my voice. Hopefully in the future I'll set my sites on publication. I don't have a specific "project" per se. Just ideas... My significant other is from Kolkata, and we spend two months there every summer. So, I have been doing a lot of writing about that city. Thanks for having an American on board!
  • I am happy to review books of fellow She Writers. If I like it I will go the extra mile to make sure other people know how great it is. I review a lot of non-fiction, memoir and literary fiction. I do review some genre fiction as well. If you would like me to review your book please drop me an email at [email protected] and I will see if it is a good fit for one of the websites I post reviews on. I have also begun to post reviews on goodreads.com. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, but I am interested in reviewing your book.