Separating writing from blogging
I'm new to the blog scene so I'm having difficulty separating out my blog writing from the work I'm hoping to publish. Any comments? Jessica The Light Daughter
Replies
  • a
    {develop one's' own voice and style}........hi, that strikes the chord in me .i have a hint of my own voice and style. that sort of gives it an artistic flavor. i like that a lot. having been choreographing and improvising dance which leads to set pieces , for years, i can relate this to blogging first and then tightening up on the direction of the writing and yielding to a style......and perhaps a purpose.........and an audience for the words. Elaine Harrigan said:
    Everyone's comments have been tremendously helpful! I started out blogging to be a better writer. After a couple of months--and with helpful feedback from readers--I started to develop my own voice and style, and began treating my blog, Blooming in Midlife, more like a syndicated column about the trials and tribulations of middle age. I deleted many of my early posts that were just rambling random thoughts, and have tried to deliberately craft essays that are sparked by daily incidences. So I guess you could say I've adopted a more editorial attitude. What it's gotten me so far is an opportunity to guest write for MORE.com which puts my writing in front of thousands of readers in my target audience (women over 40), and under the watchful eye of a More editor. In the back of my mind is always the thought, "maybe they'll love this piece so much they'll want to publish it and pay me!" In that sense, my blogging is where I test-run ideas and stories that may (hopefully) lead to greater things. The instant gratification of glowing reader comments doesn't hurt, either! (You can read one of my latest rants about bathing suits issues here.)
  • Elaine, Thanks for your response!! I just recently wrote a piece that I've been hesitating posting because it would probably make a great article. But your comments encourage me to write and repurpose!! Thanks, Jessica The Light Daughter Elaine Harrigan said:
    Everyone's comments have been tremendously helpful! I started out blogging to be a better writer. After a couple of months--and with helpful feedback from readers--I started to develop my own voice and style, and began treating my blog, Blooming in Midlife, more like a syndicated column about the trials and tribulations of middle age. I deleted many of my early posts that were just rambling random thoughts, and have tried to deliberately craft essays that are sparked by daily incidences. So I guess you could say I've adopted a more editorial attitude. What it's gotten me so far is an opportunity to guest write for MORE.com which puts my writing in front of thousands of readers in my target audience (women over 40), and under the watchful eye of a More editor. In the back of my mind is always the thought, "maybe they'll love this piece so much they'll want to publish it and pay me!" In that sense, my blogging is where I test-run ideas and stories that may (hopefully) lead to greater things. The instant gratification of glowing reader comments doesn't hurt, either! (You can read one of my latest rants about bathing suits issues here.)
  • Everyone's comments have been tremendously helpful! I started out blogging to be a better writer. After a couple of months--and with helpful feedback from readers--I started to develop my own voice and style, and began treating my blog, Blooming in Midlife, more like a syndicated column about the trials and tribulations of middle age. I deleted many of my early posts that were just rambling random thoughts, and have tried to deliberately craft essays that are sparked by daily incidences. So I guess you could say I've adopted a more editorial attitude. What it's gotten me so far is an opportunity to guest write for MORE.com which puts my writing in front of thousands of readers in my target audience (women over 40), and under the watchful eye of a More editor. In the back of my mind is always the thought, "maybe they'll love this piece so much they'll want to publish it and pay me!" In that sense, my blogging is where I test-run ideas and stories that may (hopefully) lead to greater things. The instant gratification of glowing reader comments doesn't hurt, either! (You can read one of my latest rants about bathing suits issues here.)
  • a
    that is very helpful. thank you . Jessica Keenan Smith said:
    Austine,

If you haven't already you should think about joining "Disability Writers". I have epilepsy and I find that it heavily influences my writing. I started that group because I felt for a long time I was working against the tide trying to get the word out.

Jessica

austine said:
    hi, i'm new to the blog scene, too. i've been writing a blog - memoir ,for some time, but somehow didn't share it with the unknown public. i'm shy about my writing. however, life brings surprises, and i've been diagnosed with parkinson's disease. well, this has prodded me into wanting to share my experiences and my knowledge with other people. i have been a dancer and dance therapist for many years and so , i have been researching body stuff , like qigong and the like, to help myself. this new awareness of my symptoms and the benefits of my life experiences, as a movement maven, jive to add to a new blog.. this was suggested by my son, who has experience in sharing his knowledge of what he has researched, via blog. i don't yet have a name for the new blog, but the name of older ones are the 'the red ribbon' and ' the yellow ribbon. i could use all the suggestions out there to help this new venture.
  • Austine, If you haven't already you should think about joining "Disability Writers". I have epilepsy and I find that it heavily influences my writing. I started that group because I felt for a long time I was working against the tide trying to get the word out. Jessica austine said:
    hi, i'm new to the blog scene, too. i've been writing a blog - memoir ,for some time, but somehow didn't share it with the unknown public. i'm shy about my writing. however, life brings surprises, and i've been diagnosed with parkinson's disease. well, this has prodded me into wanting to share my experiences and my knowledge with other people. i have been a dancer and dance therapist for many years and so , i have been researching body stuff , like qigong and the like, to help myself. this new awareness of my symptoms and the benefits of my life experiences, as a movement maven, jive to add to a new blog.. this was suggested by my son, who has experience in sharing his knowledge of what he has researched, via blog. i don't yet have a name for the new blog, but the name of older ones are the 'the red ribbon' and ' the yellow ribbon. i could use all the suggestions out there to help this new venture.
  • a
    hi, i'm new to the blog scene, too. i've been writing a blog - memoir ,for some time, but somehow didn't share it with the unknown public. i'm shy about my writing. however, life brings surprises, and i've been diagnosed with parkinson's disease. well, this has prodded me into wanting to share my experiences and my knowledge with other people. i have been a dancer and dance therapist for many years and so , i have been researching body stuff , like qigong and the like, to help myself. this new awareness of my symptoms and the benefits of my life experiences, as a movement maven, jive to add to a new blog.. this was suggested by my son, who has experience in sharing his knowledge of what he has researched, via blog. i don't yet have a name for the new blog, but the name of older ones are the 'the red ribbon' and ' the yellow ribbon. i could use all the suggestions out there to help this new venture. thanks, austine
  • It's so great to hear how everyone uses their blogs. I've finally started really posting (and stopped just working on the layout of the blog). Thanks for the feedback. Lydia and Amy, I hope everyone's comments were helpful to you as well Thanks, Jessica
  • I've been blogging since 2001 and because of some of the food writing I've done I've gotten a deal to write a cookbook. Which is so very different than essay or fictionalized writing. But I don't think many publishers will have a problem with some of your work being influenced by what you wrote online. Whether you have a page of essays you've written or a blog where you have a mix of serious and non-serious writing, you're writing online. You're proving your dedication to your craft. You're creating an audience who will be interested in what you have to publish. Writing the book is only half the work. The other half is the publicity you do once the book is printed.
  • Hrmmm. I first started seriously blogging in order to get my thoughts and research together on academic papers for university. My profs never minded, and some of them even liked seeing the process I went through (especially the profs who asked for drafts and such). Even now, I still use my blog(s) for ruminations that may eventually become more polished material. See, I think there's this fine line between ideas and actual writing when it comes to the publishing world. Like, if you have posts about stuff you'll be writing, that's not counted as the book itself.
  • Jennifer, Thanks for your reply. The info was helpful in giving me the kick in the pants I needed. I can stop sitting on the edge of the pool now. It's time to just jump in. Jessica Jennifer Graf Groneberg said:
    Here's my understanding of it, which is a bit muddled as I'm constantly reconsidering it, as I think most writers are:

My blog posts are my own, and ususally too short to be considered by the markets I usually write for, which are parenting/mothering/writing publications. I think of them as bookmarks in a longer book, or things posted to a bulletin board...to remind me, later, of things I might want to pursue further. Writing this way is very helpful because I can achieve: a faithful writing schedule, when I stick to it! And immediate reader feedback. It helps me know what people want to talk about.

When I was writing for a contracted site (ParentDish, Literary Mama, or Child, for example) the contract was clear in that I no longer owned rights to those works. I looked at it like this: I wrote those pieces, then let them go. If I want to use them again later, I will need to go back to those original contracts and request a right to reuse that material. Usually, there is not any resistance to this idea, if the forms are different. Like, taking blog writing and bringing it to a book. Or book writing, in small exceprts, to a blog. But here it gets a bit tricky, and the help of an agent is so good.

Finally, there's this: most blogs do not make successful books without a lot of rewriting. In my opinion, they are just very different forms. It doesn't hurt to be in the practice of both forms! I find that making time to write anything is usually a good endeavor.

xo