Building a following....
Posted by
As one of the newbie bloggers in our group, I'm interested in learning how to build a following. What works? What's not worth the time and energy?
Replies
  • Dory-- Try going into Settings. Then open Site Feeds. Check to make sure that you have allowed Full Blog Feeds and that you have a Post Feed Redirect url. If you don't have that, you can easily get it at that spot. Diane Dory Adams said:
    Diane, yes, I meant the two most recent posts. I had the settings set to show the maximum number of posts (20) and then tried different settings there anyway to see if that changed anything. I'm pretty sure that after I set up the RSS box on My Page here, it did automatically load the "Hillside Houses" post, but then the posts for the next two weeks never came up. I have a feeling that I might have inadvertently changed something in blogger when I deleted a post and then reloaded it when I was trying to get the comments section to work a few weeks back.

Diane Lockward said:
    You mean your two most recent blog posts? If so, I don't know why they wouldn't have made it. My most recent ones have popped right on. But if you mean two earlier ones, how many posts do you have your settings set for? When you click on the Edit button, a window opens that allows you to set the number of posts that will show.
    Diane

Dory Adams said:
    Diane, you are a gem! I was having the same problem with distorted photographs on my page here -- and I NEVER would have thought about trying to move the box to the center of the page. I did that and it looks much better, but for some reason my last two blog posts have never shown up in the feed box on my page here. Any ideas about what might be wrong? I tried re-entering the data fields to see if that worked, but it didn't. The feed seems to be going into my Google Reader okay, but not into my page at She Writes.
  • Diane, yes, I meant the two most recent posts. I had the settings set to show the maximum number of posts (20) and then tried different settings there anyway to see if that changed anything. I'm pretty sure that after I set up the RSS box on My Page here, it did automatically load the "Hillside Houses" post, but then the posts for the next two weeks never came up. I have a feeling that I might have inadvertently changed something in blogger when I deleted a post and then reloaded it when I was trying to get the comments section to work a few weeks back. Diane Lockward said:
    You mean your two most recent blog posts? If so, I don't know why they wouldn't have made it. My most recent ones have popped right on. But if you mean two earlier ones, how many posts do you have your settings set for? When you click on the Edit button, a window opens that allows you to set the number of posts that will show.
    Diane

Dory Adams said:
    Diane, you are a gem! I was having the same problem with distorted photographs on my page here -- and I NEVER would have thought about trying to move the box to the center of the page. I did that and it looks much better, but for some reason my last two blog posts have never shown up in the feed box on my page here. Any ideas about what might be wrong? I tried re-entering the data fields to see if that worked, but it didn't. The feed seems to be going into my Google Reader okay, but not into my page at She Writes.
  • Hi Carol, I make sure that I actively promote my blog postings on Twitter, LinkedIn and Travel Blog Exchange. On Twitter, if you take the time to promote other people's blogs, they will promote yours. Have you added your blog address in the signature of your email? I did that and it gives me some traffic. Also, anytime I get an author's bio when I write an article, I make sure to mention my blog. Hope that helps! Cheers, JoAnna
  • You mean your two most recent blog posts? If so, I don't know why they wouldn't have made it. My most recent ones have popped right on. But if you mean two earlier ones, how many posts do you have your settings set for? When you click on the Edit button, a window opens that allows you to set the number of posts that will show. Diane Dory Adams said:
  • Diane, you are a gem! I was having the same problem with distorted photographs on my page here -- and I NEVER would have thought about trying to move the box to the center of the page. I did that and it looks much better, but for some reason my last two blog posts have never shown up in the feed box on my page here. Any ideas about what might be wrong? I tried re-entering the data fields to see if that worked, but it didn't. The feed seems to be going into my Google Reader okay, but not into my page at She Writes.
  • Yes, thanks for the tip about the blog feed. I just dragged and dropped my rss feed to the page and it worked like a charm.
  • Diane — thanks for this tip. I was having the same trouble with the pictures from my blog on my page and this solved the problem. Diane Lockward said:
    However, today I discovered that the entire box can be dragged to the middle section of my page. Then each post shows up in its entirety. Not sure yet which I prefer.
    Diane
  • Hi Carol-- We had this topic come up earlier, so if you look back through the discussion, you should find the link and some good tips in there. I'd suggested that if you are on Facebook you sign onto Networked Blogs which automatically pulls each new post into the Feed and posts it on your Profile Page. This has sent me many new readers. Some people were easily able to find the right application but it seems that that app is no longer easily available. If you can't find it under Applications, use this url to get to it and follow directions there: http://www.facebook.com/networkedblogs?v=info&viewas=1495676480 Also, a Share button helps. A Blogroll helps. Regular posting helps. And some patience. It takes some time to build up a following. Keep in mind, too, that the summer months bring a slow-down. If you haven't yet used the RSS feed on your page here on shewrites, look for it on the left side of your page. Open it and it's easy from there. I found that if I wanted the posts themselves to be there rather than just the links to the posts my pictures were distorted. However, today I discovered that the entire box can be dragged to the middle section of my page. Then each post shows up in its entirety. Not sure yet which I prefer. Diane