Please introduce yourselt
I am so excited to meet all of you and hear about your memoir projects. Please feel free to introduce yourself, your memoir project and tell where you are from!
Replies
  • Thanks Audrey for joining the group. I love your title "The Activist Heart!" Your story is compelling. Go for it!
  • Lynn Goodman, what a timely book! I'm very interested in your memoir. I'm attracted to your story both from your personal addiction response (alcoholism has reaped havoc, brought critical health concerns for so many in my circles of family), and to the Alaska adventure story component and unique natural remedy you developed. I'm eager to read it. Best wishes!
  • Hi! Audrey Denecke here. I'm writing my first memoir. The working title is "My Activist Heart" focused on my intense activist stage between 1975 - 1985 within the women's movement (primarily employment) and related justice oriented anti-poverty and hunger issues. What may be different, if not unique, is the view of a woman leading from the middle (lower middle class view, middle level leader, etc.). For example, an early crisis in my memoir was being caught in the middle of a political factions fight of National N.O.W. as a national clerical staff member, selected to be President of our small staff union. We filed charges against N.O.W. for unfair labor charges which allowed us, in the person of me, to bring our cause to the National media and ultimately bring our petitions to the National Board. Ultimately, the Midwest and D.C. offices were closed and we lost our jobs. That part of the story was a sad chapter full of external and internal conflict (with insights into how some of the women of privilege in the leadership didn't yet get the realities of working class women). And, it didn't stop there. What I learned and gained and contributed during my ten years is what I hope will be inspiring to young women today. Recently, I wrote to two women who were local leaders and allies during that early crisis. I wasn't asking for permission but I was uncomfortable about revealing our ugly underbelly. I was heartened by their support and encouragement to share my experiences, that ugly episode, and my insiders view of our 2nd Feminist Movement. Are you intrigued? Any thoughts?
  • Hi Lynne and Diana, Welcome to the group! Both of you are working on amazing memoirs. Keep the faith! Diana, I would suggest you take a class through either your local college or online. I am currently taking an online class through the Loft. Writers Digest also has some great online classes as well. Keep posting and responding to other writers posts. That is how we keep our community going! Happy Writing!
  • Hi Phyllis, I have been working periodically on a memoir about opioid addiction, quitting, and going up to Alaska to work on fishing boats as a biologist. I feel that I need to finish this project sooner rather than later, given the current opioid crisis in this country. The path I took was unusual in that I used ibogaine - a drug derived from the root bark of an African shrub - to quit, and for a time to stay clean. Most people have never heard of this, and as it's a Schedule 1 drug in the US, there is a dearth of research into it here. Such research as has been conducted, however, is very promising. I believe that more people need to be aware of this option, and that our government should consider rescheduling it so that it can be offered to more addicts. Following treatment I also spent a great deal of time at sea, where I found peace that I had never known and joy that had long been absent from my life. The story also touches on a childhood filled with abuse and pain, the PTSD that resulted, and coming to terms with that.
  • Hi Debra, thanks for joining the group. I am glad you have started this journey. Are you taking any writing classes? Have you joined a writers group or circle? I have found that it helps to write in a community. Please feel free to share your experience here in our group. I am sure it will help to encourage others.
  • Hello Phyllis, I am fairly new to "She Writes" but I hope to connect with others in my genre. I am working on my first book, a memoir. I am trying to tell of my journey from victim to survivor of childhood abuse. This has been really difficult, but, I am hoping to get my story out in order to help others and stop the cycles within my own family. I recently moved from the West coast to the Midwest to be closer to more positive relationships. I hope one day to finish my book, and have it published.
  • Hi Dyane, the more the merrier! I am currently in the process of writing a memoir but I am open to having people who have completed their memoirs as well. So excited to hear that your mother is named Phyllis. She must be an awesome person! Please feel free to post and share about your book and other topics.
  • Dear Phyllis, My mother's name is Phyllis, so your group caught my eye! :) How would you feel about allowing members into your group who have completed a memoir & in the process of promoting it in tandem with the publisher? I completely understand if you prefer members with a work in progress - that's the group description after all! But I figured I'd ask you anyway, especially since you have such a lovely name. Take care, Dyane