Hello! New Writer Here!
Posted by
Hello everyone, my name is Lauren and I am from Canada. For a while I had been feeling a call to tell my story through writing and in April I finally responded to that call by picking up a pen and notebook and writing. Since I've started recalling memories from my past I've found it difficult to let myself go back to that time because it was incredibly difficult for me. I'm writing about my experience with depression and how I began to heal myself through a spiritual path. I'm planning for it not to just be a memoir but, also a guide for other people who have experienced depression. I also want my book to provide others with tools that will encourage and motivate them to heal themselves. Am I in the right place here? If not, do any of you know of any other groups or resources that are aligned with my goals? Thank you! :)
Replies
  • Hi Lauren - Yes I think you're in one of the right places! And your story is needed by a great many. What you said about "Not just a memoir" but also "tools that will encourage and motivate (others) to heal themselves." That is where my memoir has taken me also, and I have learned so much about myself and Life with a capital L by writing it. The hardest parts have been the most healing parts for me, and yes, I cried a lot, but I discovered truths I couldn't see at those times in my life when the experiences happened, and I have been able to understand and forgive, even myself as well. All the best to you, Write on! Namaste. P.S. Canada is a huge place, where are you?
  • Thank you Phyllis! I feel inspired an excited! I'm very happy to be a part of this community! :)
  • Yes, Lauren, you are definitely in the right place. I am intrigued by your topic. So many people struggle with depression and need encouragement. Congrats on starting your writing journey! I started almost two years ago. I started with one book, a memoir. Now I have three I am working on two memoirs and one nonfiction self-help book about my career. I look forward to hearing more...