Historical Novel vs Creative Non-Fiction
I've had my current book in mind for about five years but could never make a start on it because I could not bring myself to choose between writing it as an historical novel or writing it as a work of creative nonfiction. The protagonist of the book is my great-grandmother Jessie and I've done years of research on her and her family. The genealogist in me wanted to go the creative nonfiction route but as I drafted my first chapters I finally realized that her story needed the historical novel approach (although I'm staying true to the facts and the history) or there were parts of it I simply wouldn't be able to tell. I'm only about 6k words into this book, but I finally find myself happy with what I'm writing. Writing fiction is a first for me (all my previous works have been nonfiction) but I'm finding it an interesting challenge. Has anyone else struggled with this decision? What did you choose and why?
Replies
  • Oh, I would definitely go the historical fiction route. I did that with my book UNDER THE ALMOND TREES and was very pleased with the result. With nonfiction, you are stuck with dates and events. If you fictionalize it, you can up the drama (if needed) and tweak the story arc to make a better novel.