Hello Bea
Posted by
Found your group today and would like to join the conversations. I too am writing a memoir, "Victory Is My Name," about unlearning the untruths we were taught as children "for our own good" that keep us from becoming who we really are and can hold us hostage for life, unless we find our own way to the truth. I want the book to have the qualities of a good novel –Stories within the story, places that have personal history, the family secret, and how it affected all of us even though we never knew. The book shares some new truths I learned in living it, and even more surprisingly, in writing it. The biggest one being, "You ARE good enough." I would love to hear what other writers like myself are experiencing in the pursuit of our chosen way of expressing our truths. Also interested in learning more about self-publishing. From first-look, it seems hardest in the follow-through and distribution once it's done. My book is still in progress, so I'm considering options.
Replies
  • By the way, "Victory is My Name," sounds fantastic and think you should considered offering it up for traditional publishing, that is what I am considering for my lastest Manuscript. We will talk about that too later and hopefully we can have others join in on the conversation.
  • Hello Victoria, It took me some time before I finally finished my book, but I learned a lot about how to actually put a book together, from trail and error. You have to decide who you are writing it for. Is it to share your life's lessons with others or just family members? If it is the latter then a simple inexpensive wire bound manuscript would do, but if you want to go the full route of sharing it for the general public, be prepared to do some research on Self Publishing houses. I will talk more on that in a few days, in the mean time happy writing. Bea.