How do you explain the problem with providing samples to prospective clients?
Posted by
This is a problem that I think is unique to ghostwriting. As a ghost, one of your core talents is being able to subsume the mind of the client/author and write, not just with their voice, but with their unspoken intention. As such, any sample you provide is going to be in the voice of someone else, including yourself, and won't represent the client/author. Also, there's the issue that, as a ghost, you usually can't share any of your work because, you know, you're a ghost. Yet they still want to see examples of your work. So how do you approach that?
Replies
  • B
    If a client wants to see samples of my work, I'll approach it in a couple of different ways. First, I'm not just a ghostwriter, so I have a lot of my own writing that I can provide snippets of for samples; fiction, non-fiction, and blog posts. That option gives clients a view into my personal tone and style, allowing them to decide if I'm the kind of writer that will fit their needs. Yes, as a ghostwriter, I can emulate the style and tone of whatever the client wants, as a writer in general, my own influence is still present here and there. The second approach I use is by providing a snippet of content I wrote for another client, but not including the name of the project, the client name, or any information that could potentially link me to the completed project, or give away personal information about another client. This is a bit risky, yes, but if I have worked on a project in a similar field that another client is interested in, I find this gives them some peace of mind that I am familiar with their niche/topic. I usually accompany any shared samples with an explanation of how ghostwriting is designed to take on the characteristics, tone, and style that the client wants. Sometimes though, a client doesn't know what they want in regards to tone and style, so having samples is a way to help them fully realize their own ideas and goals.