Unusual Memoir
Hello, I have been enjoying the articles posted on She Writes and thought it would also be helpful to join a group since I am not a professional writer. I have been somewhat alone these past couple years writing my memoir. I've been worried I will be judged and my topic wouldn't be accepted in a memoir workshop or local writing groups. My memoir details how as a married mother of three I began experiencing a parallel world while I slept. During my out of body experiences I have been shown many details about the afterlife and the reality of who and what we are, which ultimately reflect on our current lives here in the physical world. This writing project started out as a memoir for my children but as I was completing the first draft I decided it might actually be a book. I have been interested in doing a memoir workshop to help me polish up my rough draft since I don't have any previous writing experience. But, didn't know if this topic would work out well in a traditional memoir workshop. Does anyone have any ideas on what direction I might go to locate a class or workshop that would be accepting or perhaps recommend an on line memoir class? Thank you
Replies
  • Hi Cheryl, Thanks for joining the group and for sharing about your memoir. A few years ago I attended a Hay House event. I believe they have workshops that might be of value to you. Several of their writers/authors write about out of the body and other experiences. I would check their website. Here is a link: https://www.hayhouseu.com/ Phyllis
  • Hi! I did the Gotham memoir writing workshop online. It was worth it because it was the first time I showed anyone my writing. I submitted 15 pages and did several smaller assignments, I received useful critiques and read other people's work so I didn't feel so alone in my struggle. But I wouldn't say that I learned anything from the course material, so I only recommend it to people who need to get over their first submission jitters. - Your story sounds very interesting! Michelle
  • In the past when I haven't been sure if a project I want to do will fit into the class boundaries, I've simply written to the instructor, or to the organization hosting the course. In addition to seeking out classes in the memoir field (and you can find tons of them online just by googling memoir courses or looking at creative arts training websites), you might want to check out speculative non-fiction. I had been wondering about the definition of "speculative fiction," a term I've been hearing a lot lately, so I decided to go online and finally research it. In the course of doing so, I came across a brand-new genre called "speculative non-fiction." Although I don't recall seeing any essays that sound like yours, from its definition, it seems that your book would fit into that genre. There is even an online magazine for it now, brand new also. The editors or some of the advisory board might be able to help you. Hope this was useful, and good luck. I'd love to read your book! Sharon