Advice for Someone ready to Self-Publish
Posted by

Hi All,

I hope this is the appropriate group to post this in. I am ready to explore self-publishing my book. As with most things, there is a mountain of information when one Googles "Self-Publish." While I am aware of She Writes Press, I hope you won't mind steering me in the right direction concerning the following questions:

* Is it appropriate to approach self-published authors with my "how-to" questions?

* How does on choose an self-publisher? An editor? All the other little pieces one needs to see the book published?

* E-books vs hard copy?

* Is there a single resource with a library of this kind of information?

All these, I suppose, are different ways of saying: "I'm ready. Now What??"

Thanks a bunch, I find the discussions here very helpful and encouraging.

Replies
  • No one source covers all the information you will need. Much of which will depend on your intentions and the decisions you make as you learn more. Self-publishing requires focus, determination, humility, and money.

Start with an overview of the industry. Guy Kawasaki's book APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book. (There's a parody of the book on amazon, J'APE – it is a riot) I still like the book for giving one a general peek into the big players in the industry and should stimulate more questions. Joel Friendlander's site is huge, work your way through there and you'll get a pretty good idea of what you need to do. http://www.thebookdesigner.com/

Petrea beat me to it-I also recommend Konrath's site.

This is a good article. http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/the-4-best-strategies-for-savvy-self-publishers

* Is it appropriate to approach self-published authors with my "how-to" questions?

As you can see authors will volunteer to answer questions. But really, you should at least read up a bit about self-publishing before you start asking specific questions. I agree with Petrea, you just need to plunge in and start learning.

* How does on choose an self-publisher? An editor? All the other little pieces one needs to see the book published?

Again, start reading, you'll find the answers by narrowing down what you need.

* E-books vs hard copy?

I agree with Petrea, paperback and ebook. Unless you have a non-fiction book that is mainly text and not a reference book-then don't bother with print.

Sadly, no. Joel's site comes close. The breadth of information on his site is staggering.

Know too, that the book is only a part of self-publishing. Do you have a social media following? A platform from which to market your book? A marketing plan? Even if you were publishing traditionally, you would be expected to have these things in play before your book comes out.

Self-publishing is a big responsibility, that can be overwhelming. Take it slow, read, evaluate, then develop a plan of action. Have fun, good luck. Lynne

• Hi Kenny,

Good questions all. I recently self-published my book, Camelot & Vine and am doing pretty well with sales and reviews.

SheWrites Press, as I understand it, is a hybrid publisher, and there is a difference. A hybrid publisher will vet your book like any other publisher, but you will pay for services as you wouldn't pay a traditional publisher. However, a higher percentage of the profits (sometimes 100%) will be yours. I haven't read the SheWrites contract so I don't know how theirs works. The hybrid publisher takes care of editing, book cover, etc, and/or you can choose among those services.

When you self-publish, you have to find your own editor, book designer, etc. That's what I did.

I think people like to help, and it's certainly okay with me. Feel free to message me here or email me at [email protected].

Word of mouth, I'd say. When you say "self-publisher," actually you are the publisher. You might mean a hybrid publisher, or where to publish your self-published book (everywhere you can).

* E-books vs hard copy?

I recommend both. It was easier and faster to get the ebook out there so I did that first, but an awful lot of people held out for the paperback. Hardbacks are too expensive and I wouldn't consider them.

Not that I know of, although I found a complete education at A Newbie's Guide to Publishing. Konrath is admittedly biased toward self-publishing, but if you read his blog from its beginning to its end as I did, you'll see how and why he made the transition from traditionally published author to self-published author. His blog is an education in itself.

And about that "mountain of information"--read as much of it as you can. It's kind of like the wild west out here these days, and things change quickly. But it's a lot of fun.

• Hey Kenny. I have a publishing company for indie authors http://www.ckbookspublishing.com. I can answer any questions you might have - no charge! Or email me at christinekeleny(at)yahoo(dot)com

I'm excited for you. It's a wonderful feeling to be in the place you're at!

Christine Keleny