Readers Aloud – support for writers in revision
Posted by

Hi guys,

I wanted to drop a line about a new group that can help make your manuscript sing.

Many of us know that reading our own work aloud helps us catch those subtle nuances that help our words flow and our ideas to crystallize in readers' minds. Many agents and editors take that a step further; they recommend having *someone else* read your work to you. But where can you look for that sort of help?

Readers Aloud is an open exchange that pairs willing voices with revising writers (or others who need read-aloud versions of written work). Author Kat Yeh  and I co-founded the group to give writers a new way to amp up their manuscripts.

To kick things off, we're giving away a 3-chapter read to one new member. 

Enter here! bit.ly/LzVkuM 

Happy writing and happy weekend (or if you're like me, happy writing weekend),

Margo

Replies
  • Thanks, Lorraine! You can just visit the group (at http://bit.ly/ReadersAloud) and click the "Join Group" button on the top right. Then all you'll need to know is in the "About" tab. You'll also find a few tips under the "Files" tab. 

Hope to see you there soon, Lorraine. We can trade a chapter or two!

Margo

• Hi Shannon,

Thanks much for visiting! Sounds great. I'd love to help with the read-aloud, whenever you're ready. I'll need one soon, too. Maybe we can trade a few chapters!

Margo

• Just checked out the facebook page. Very intriguing. I'll need a good read aloud at some point, so I plan to keep you all in mind. Best of luck!

• Cool, Lorraine.

Btw, did you join the Facebook group yet? If you post your project on the wall there, you'll get more readers for your subsequent chapters – we're built on a reciprocal model where someone who gets a read also reads someone else's chapter. It's working pretty well – it's very easy to sit and record one chapter!

Let me know if you have any questions. And thanks!

• Thanks for joining the group, Melanie! Looking forward to swapping a read-aloud sometime. :)

We'll have to do a role-call there pretty soon to see which of us writes MG / YA / PB / etc. I believe we have some non-kidlit writers there, too. The group's open to anyone, really. :)

Thanks again!

• Very interesting. Off to check it out! Also, if you write MG, I've recently joined a crit group online: [email protected]

We're sharing queries, swapping WIPs, and generally helping each other out :)