Anybody interested in a reading exchange?
Posted by
We're all swamped, I know that. I'm hoping to be ready for a next full read very soon. These are tough to set up. They involve a ton of time and they have to be the right exchange--you know, if you're writing something direct and your partner's stuff is oblique, you can't help them very much. Or if they're all about word flow and you need help with structure, etc. It can take a long time and a lot of false starts to find someone similar enough in style and with enough critiquing depth, and it can take a lot of time to give your partner what they need. Still, oh, my heavens, when it's right, what a gift for your project. A fresh, wise read and critique from someone who understands your style, etc. An ally across the country who is writing something fabulous that you've helped midwife even a little bit. If anybody here is interested, let me know. For the record: I think my strengths as a critiquer lean towards stucture and making sure the overarching tension and internal scene tensions are there. And probably character, to make sure those are fully-formed. I'm not bad on dialogue and where scenes should begin and end, that kind of thing. I will never be able to find your typos.
Replies
  • Hey Sara! I have been meaning to reply to your query regarding a reading exchange for a few days now-- sorry it took me so long to get round to it. I think it is a great idea with a lot of merit. Sure it takes time but then anything worth doing does. In fact I believe that this is so important that it deserves a group of its own. Sure not everyone will be compatible with the others writing techniques and if that is the case I think the person should be honest and say so. There are a lot of ladies out there who for whatever reason find writing a lonely and sometimes daunting business. One of the good things to come of the internet is the ability to communicate worldwide almost instantaneously. I say lets take full advantage of this to critique, mentor,encourage, and just generally be a friend to our sisters out there.