Seeking feedback on a possible book cover
Posted by

I'm making my final preparations to self-publish my SF novel, TWIN-BRED, and am not sure whether to use the book cover that I used for my CreateSpace proof.  I've attached two versions of that cover.  (The one with the smaller planet was intended as the e-book cover, since the other is hard to read in thumbnail size.)  Are either or both of these covers sufficiently eye-catching and professional to use, or should I do some major reworking (or start from scratch)?  If you think something doesn't "work," is it the art, the text (and specifically, font, size, color, flat vs. 3D character of the text), or something else?

Thanks for any thoughts you're willing to share!

Replies
  • Sorry Karen, ditch the concept. It's amateurish. I'm afraid self-publishing suffers from being taken seriously for this very reason. The old "Can't judge book by its cover" doesn't apply. Your book will be judge by its cover and if it looks amateurish outside it'll be presumed to be amateurish inside. So stop now. Reevaluate what it is you are trying to convey on the cover. It isn't necessary to have such a literal interpretation of twins--these particular fetuses aren't attractive. In fact they are quite off-putting. At the least, if you're set on keeping the twins, find an artist who can draw something less crude.

The title is Twin-Bred, I can pretty much deduce it's about twins. What else is going on? Aliens/human communication? Is there a central character? What other concept from the story can you work with?

Look at professional covers--what draws you in? What makes them look professional to you? What stands out? Color, photos, illustrations, typography, size?

Are the colors you chose, purple and green, significant to the story? What is hot in your genre? What would compel someone to pick up your book, or click on its cover?

Because your title is so illustrative you could go for a more abstract cover--say a photo of a twin nebula like this--http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CP63frWJ5Tk/S_uNU2fwj1I/AAAAAAAABgw/si5o3YxzJto/s1600/nebulae.jpg There are others-google twin nebula images.

And just your name and title KO white or colors you like. Like this--http://www.amazon.com/Gripping-Hand-Mote-ebook/dp/B005KSL45M/ref=sr_1_74?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315838227&sr=1-74

If at all possible hiring a professional to design your book cover could make the difference between selling and not selling. Do you know anyone who could help you? Are you close to a university or college with a graphic arts program? Hiring a student designer would be worth looking into, maybe they could take it on as a school project? 

I hope that was helpful--I do go on. Best of luck. Lynne

• Stars sound like a great idea!

I'd be careful on getting too elaborate with fonts--many times, simpler is better. Get too fancy and things start to look a little early-Word clipart-y. I'm a big fan of Arial and Helvetica, personally.

• I've been considering adding some stars, meteors, galaxies, something of that kind, somewhere in what is now flat black.  I'm also looking at more 3D fonts (see reply to Candy F.).
  • Yes, the book is about human-alien communication problems.  Let me know if you want to hear the 2-paragraph pitch :-).

I have been thinking about changing fonts.  Any ideas on what fonts have a "SF edge"?  I've been looking at somewhat 3D-ish fonts, although I'm having installation difficulties with some.

• I like the concept a lot, and the combination of the title and the cover image definitely makes me want to know more about your story. I think it looks a little flat, though. Perhaps a slight gradient on the background, centered behind the planet, would add some dimension.

• I personally prefer the the cover example with the larger planet. If you don't mind me asking, does the book have anything to do with aliens? I get the feeling there's a strong influence.

I'd consider a different font for the title, one with a SF edge if it were me.

• Hi Karen,

Although I like the concept of the larger planet, I think the "Twins" against the black stand out more. The black is powerful making a strong contrast with the green and purple. I came across a website: www.thebookdesigner.com that suggests typeface and other issues, so maybe that may give you some additional insights.

Wishing you great success,

Ren'e

• Hi Karen.

Personally, my favorite is the one with the larger planet.  The bodies seem more encapsulated, it's more embryonic in feeling.  The one with the smaller planet doesn't feel as artistically related and the body on the left feels too heavy, like it's going to easily fall off the page.  The larger earth seems to hold the design all together.

Just personal opinion and certainly far from expert opinion.

GREAT JOB! Good luck with your book!

Pat Nance

writing as Trisha Faye