Is the voice of your blog and book the same?
Posted by

I'm working on a book proposal for my blog and I have over 75 pages of book worthy blog material but now I'm thinking that the voice of the blog should be different from the book. 

Anyone else struggling to find the voice and write the first chapter? I'm stuck on both--unless I write two different books on the same subject. 

Ideas? Advice? 

Lisa

Replies
  • As long as you're being your authentic self, you can tell the story, I think. But don't listen to me. I'm just published through a blog. LOL! Hey, sarcasm is in now :-) or is that a woman thing?

I don't think my blog tone is really sarcastic. I just take a topic and flip it to add a little humor. I may slip in sarcasm here and there, I think. I'm looking at doing a memoir as a graphic novel. Writing it the traditional way is a little intense for me, so there would be sarcasm there for sure. It may fit better in that format.

How do you write objectively about real life people who you may not have particularly cared for?

• Have you read The Oatmeal? It's a blog but it's also a book (you can get it at places like Urban Outfitters). Because my blog is about religious cults (and my life in one), I'm thinking of making my story more palatable to a wider audience by publishing the blog that way; however, I want to put the entire story out there in memoir form first. Once I've published once, I'll work on the other ideas. 

Although my voice on the blog draws subscribers in, it's a fun, sarcastic voice. It's not the voice that will tell my story as truly, honestly and deeply as it could; thus the voice change.

• A blog turned coffee table book is a unique direction. All of this is really new to me. In any case, the safe thing to do is put an excerpt of your memoir on the blog, I suppose.

• Well, in my case, I think the 2 voices will look extremely different, but that's because I've steered away from the "blog to book" and am working on a memoir. Same subject. Different tone and stories. In the future, I see myself putting together more of a coffee table type book based on my blog--not a memoir.
  • I'm not at the stage of turning my blog into a book. However, I use my writer's voice on my blog. I was thinking that's what subscribers were drawn to on the blog. I don't think the two should be extreme. But as Hope was saying, you probably should keep writing and as the blog develops, you'll know what direction to take.

• Hope,

Thanks. I've been writing a lot since I posted this and my book is coming along with a serious tone--more serious than I would've liked. I think I've finally found my voice. :)

Lisa

• I suggest you keep on writing without judgement for a while, until your voice develops. Your story is serious, your blog has a lot of lightness. Stick with the story.
  • Think I'd need to know a little more about your blog/book project. Mine is pretty specific, so I'm thinking the voice will be pretty much the same. I'll take a look at your blog. 

Mine is Unmapped Country

Hope

• My blog bridgetstraub.com is a combination of posts having to do with my everyday life as well as a forum to get feedback on the massive amounts of fiction I write. Both have a certain amount of sarcasum to them so in that sense the voice might be the same.