Getting in the Zone
Posted by

I'm starting on a new WIP, a YA novel. I'm experiencing some author paralysis, though. It's kind of like when artists look at a blank canvas and freeze. I am so afraid of starting and not doing well enough that I find myself just sitting there, my mind skittering around as I stare at the computer screen.

It's so weird, because this is definitely not my first novel or even close to my first writing experience. You would think I'd know how to conquer this. I haven't felt like this in a while. I think it's because it's a new genre. I've done so much research and reading that I know I am ready to start. But that's different from *being* ready to start, if anyone knows what I mean.

So, what do you do to "get in the zone"? Any tips on how you break author paralysis (if you even experience it, and I hope someone here has, or I'll be very, very upset ;))?

A.R.

Replies
  • I would be interested in tips. I am probably more often prone to let myself get distracted if I'm having trouble sitting down to write. Sometimes I read a book for a bit to get inspired, or I remind myself of any goals; like how anxious I am to send a section to a beta reader, and that doesn't get done by doing anything else other than writing and making it happen.
  • I'm 90% done with my novel, and I still have the same problem sometime when I look at the screen. I've seen authors like Libba Bray write long ramblings about exactly why they have writer's block, and sometimes that helps. Often, I just go outside, or get a bowl of ice cream (not good, as I seem to gain just by looking at it!) and listen to some music. When it comes, it'll come.

If you're like me and feel like there are other authors that are speeding past you as you are stuck in neutral, here's what Maryrose Wood told me: you are going at your own right pace. Keep taking each step, keep writing and reading, and you'll get to where you need to go. This doesn't always stick with me, but it's good advice all the same.

• Adriana,

Go for a brisk walk. No kidding. Walk at least 30 minutes, take a small notepad and pencil with you though. It never fails for me. I think all of us go through watching the cursor blink. When it happens, put on your walking shoes and hit the trail! I really believe it has something to do with being in the elements, air, wind...oxygen flowing freely. Try it, I dare ya!:))) (Report back, I'd love to hear if you get anything!)

Or take a notebook or laptop to a natural setting, park, under a tree...

• I agree with Jennifer:  just write.  I am often amazed at how things just start to flow when I do that.  Even if I start with 'I can't write a thing, I'm just dawdling...'  So with that, I'm turning my attention to Chapter 5; the chapter I must re-write because I lost the first draft.  Oh well.
  • I've had this same experience - it's awful and so unexpected when it happens. I found that just leaving everything for a week worked for me. I didn't let myself dwell on the block - I just went on with the rest of my life and then came back to the computer and the words flowed. I think my brain was working on plot issues and other things on a different level and was ready to produce after it worked things out.  Well - that's my theory anyway. Good luck. The words will come. 

Brenda

http://www.brendamccreight.blogspot.com

• I read somewhere,when you are going through this sort of writers block, just write. It doesn't matter if at first it is rubbish, or at the very least nothing spectacular. It is important you write! Set aside a time and space, where you will not get disturbed; difficult  I know. Then just write! It is amazing how even when you think, that you dont know what to say,you find your voice. Go find yours. I am busy rewriting my first novel and it is a very manic/depressive experince, but I love it. Best wishes Jen .

http://welshjensblog.blogspot.com