New and improve query letter
Posted by

I would love feedback on this re write of my query letter;

Dear

The themes and stories in LOVE OUTSOURCED evolved from my 30 years as a psychotherapist. I specialize in treating people who have experienced prolonged exposure to abuse and neglect. The multitudes of relational injuries caused by child abuse are well known. However the often-crippling impact of childhood betrayal on people’s capacities to forge loving relationships remains under-acknowledged.   

LOVE OUTSOURCED is a book of narrative non-fiction.  It is a sequence of stories from my clients’ lives interwoven with moments from my own life. The book is in three sections that highlight three themes: Lessons of Love, Betrayal, and Repair. Insights and information scattered through LOVE OUTSOURCED paint a coherent picture of the impact of abuse and the consequences for how one comes to understand or to misconstrue what is required in loving relationships. 

At the center of Love Outsourced is the radical yet obvious notion of child abuse as a traumatic experience of love. This viewpoint changes everything. It demands that love be central in the discourse about therapy, central in how we come to understand the complex relationships we forge with our clients. It will alter how we approach the treatment of the lasting effects of childhood trauma. 

I am a frequent presenter at local and international conferences including International Society for the Study of Traumatic Stress and the International Society of Trauma and Dissociation. I have written articles for professional journals and book reviews for the Journal of Trauma and Dissociation. I have had many opportunities to collaborate and participate on panels with my colleagues from many parts of the world. I am fortunate to have the support and regard of many of the leaders in my field. I believe my professional reputation will be an asset in promoting LOVE OUTSOURCED.

In addition to the art of therapy, I am deeply committed to the art of writing. I received my MFA in Creative Non fiction in 2010.

Presently my manuscript is 55,000 words. I will be adding an introduction and expanding the last section. 

I am interested in working with you because you care about creative non-fiction with a purpose. My book LOVE OUTSOURCED is filled with rich narratives that can also make a difference in peoples lives. 

Best,