What genre?
Posted by

What genre of YA/MiG fiction are you writing? I'm working on my very first MiG novel (actually, I had put it aside about a year and a half ago, and just dug it back out today), and it's a horror. I'm really enjoying writing my character's voice. I write adult horror and dark fiction, too, and it's really interesting how I have to switch gears to write to a younger audience.

So, what about you? What genre are you writing? And out of curiosity, what genres are really popular amongst younger readers?

Replies
  • That sounds like an interesting story, Stephanie. As a reader, I find that "head-hopping" gets annoying, so I keep my stories down to one main character, at most 2, whether they're in 3rd or 1st person POV. I also prefer to stay with one character in first person, for YA.

That said, two not-YA novels I can think of that worked successfully with multiple 1st-person POVs were The Poisonwood Bible and Trainspotting. The trick is to have a unique "voice" for each of them. Even with a 3rd-person POV, I think it's more effective when there's a distinct personality for each character, not just the writer "being" each of the characters and using the same expressions (another example of this is Queen of the Damned, which, although I didn't particularly like it, did a successful job with its multiple POV). $0.02 :)

• I wanted to post this link for the YA fantasy and historical writers. This press has got awesome reviews and a recommendation from Pred-Ed. http://www.glasshousepress.com/contact/ The contact page is where they have a small blurb about what they're accepting now, and the email where you can send your work. Hope this helps someone!
  • Not like anyone can really predict it, but I read online recently that some agents are interested in contemporary YA as sort of a swing in the other direction from all the paranormal and dystopian stuff. I went to a bookstore event where a woman in the industry (I forget what title) said that historical YA does not sell...but that can change. That was in January, and I'm already seeing several books out now about teens in the 1920s (Vixen, Bright Young Things), and all those late 1800s-early 1900s books with the beautiful dress covers like Luxe and Vespertine.

I agree with you that it's an exciting time for anything that is a twist on what's currently out there. I'd personally like to see more mystery/romance for teens, and contemporary.

• Hello...

I'm writing ya romantic suspense. We are having this same kind of discussion over at Savvy Authors--what appeals to the YA crowd. I think paranormal is still really hot, but I also think the market it saturated. I was at B&N in January and 2/3 of their YA books were paranormal. The good news is: I think paranormal is here to stay with this audience. The bad news: It will have to be a darn good story or spin to get noticed. Just my $.02. 

I also think this leaves the market wide open to other genres. I think sweet and dark romance, thrillers, urban fantasy and steam punk are all very popular and have much room for growth.

Ana Kenley

• I adjusted the age of one of the afterlife characters to 19, which I think might help it, too. All of the characters tie in together in some way. I still need an ending though. I'm conflicted at how to bring everything together. Thanks again for the input!
  • A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks started and concluded in the voice of a 50ish something man. However, it was a story in which the narrator was reflecting on his first love, at 17. He then told the story from a teen perspective using 1st person.