Just Saying What I'm Seeing
Posted by

As I said earlier, I am back in the south after over 40 years. Then a lot of people say that Washington, DC is just over the Mason-Dixon line. Very few people in DC were born in DC. They were all transplants from somewhere else - usually south. The Carolinas were very popular. And, as you know, DC was known as "Chocolate City" for a long time. It was. Actually, it was a larger version of the city I  grew up in the south - Montgomery. Culturally and socially, it was the same: proper schools, federated clubs, Jack 'n Jill, debutante balls, Continentals, Links, sororities, etc. You get the picture? Well, Montgomery was the same way.

My friend and I of nearly 50 years were talking this morning about how Montgomery has changed. She wondered what has happened. She is digging through her 98 year-old mother's memorabilia and finding pictures of Miss White's school, school programs where there were preludes and postludes played, debutante ball invites, and other links to the past. And that's where we stood for about an hour - in the past. She remembered in '64 being  a flower girl at the debutante ball, but not a debutante because they didn't have it anymore. The world was changing, especially in Montgomery, the center of the Civil Rights struggle.

So, after our "do you remember whens" and "I wonder whys" we finally came up with the conclusion that the changes to our lifestyle has happened because of Integration. Yep, integration which gave us equality and an opportunity to "live, learn, work, pray, play, and entertain" together. But many of us in our age range still pray, play and entertain separately. But those generations,the ones behind us have really bought into a multi-racial homoginized society. So culturally and socially, the changes are coming. Unfortunately, it is just so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

Replies
  • Very interesting. I would agree, we place a lot of pride on our yesteryears. We think everyone should strive to be who we have been and we circle the wagons around our communities when we have time. But....we are very much segregated mentally. I have listened to enough stories to cautiously intermingle with various races. But as I watch my children, they have less cautious behavior and know they are equal. I am learning to do better. I have a more diverse group of friends than My parents had. They have a more diverse group of friends than their parents so I see the inevitability of chance but nonetheless it's a great observation.
  • Interesting observation. I was raised in California but I hear many Southerners reminiscense about black-owned businesses, how the doctor and garbageman lived next door to each other and how respected professions like school teachers were.