What to do with the rest of our lives . . .
Posted by
Have reached an impasse--no job--no cushy retirement package--sort of an empty nest.Back in school after a 40 year hiatus, seeking Medical Office Procedure Certificate. Really don't want to do billing and coding. Trying to avert a personal tragic end--alone and being eaten by dogs. Need a new creative venue. And on top of everything this keyboard does no like ths email format.
Replies
  • About 8 years ago, when I was just a girl of 55, I realized that if I moved "offshore", to somewhere warm and cheap, I could retire. And, as the stick, I also realized that if I stayed in the US, I would be living in a mobile home right in the middle of a hurricane zone with neighbors who did not get the parts in Deliverance.

So I leapt.

Now I live here in the Dominican Republic. I found work as a part time journalist, interviewing in Spanish and French, writing in English. I wrote a few articles in the first six months after my arrival, when I was still starry eyed and still get letters. While certainly this is not a path for EVERYONE, I think that it could be an option for many. 

I want to do a book of short essays on the process.

Will you cheer for me?

• We agree. We are not in control, God is. What is gain to me is loss to God. He will get all because he loves me and wants to save me. I pray, Take whatever I cannot give, I will take the cup of salvation and call upon the Lord. Don't worry. I may be kvetching but I know that my Redeemer liveth and I shall see him in the latter day.  Just tracking my progress. I completely believe in your approach, but I view the process as a the last days in the wilderness. Lotsa of sand and desolation. But the Jordan River is just ahead.
  • Virginia,

I understand the turmoil and depressive state you are in. Cancer is nobody's friend. Having survived three bouts and dealing with a husband who is terminal with a rare form of cancer. Breaking bones is easier when young and so is surgery. I spent four months healing from a hysterectomy with massive complication like my heart stopping a couple of times. Two years healing after a ruptured achille's tendon. I'm just a very few years younger than you.

The first thing you have to realize is that you are in control of NOTHING! Life is a roller coaster with it's ups and downs...even at our age. With that thought in mind, you wake every morning, do what needs to be done (write, paint, housework), you smile at little achievements and hoop and holler at the big ones, and you live each day to the fullest with no regrets. Each day you wake up is a blessing no matter what happens.  Tomorrow there will be a new set of problems, issues, joys, and revelations.

My personal finances are comfortable but not cushy...my bills get paid even if it means borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. I have never been independently wealthy and honestly don't want to be. I deal with fibromyalgia every single day, but each day no matter how painful, I get up say my prayers and do what needs to be done. Not to mention all the other stuff that comes to women our age. I pour all the strife into writing and it helps. At the end of the day I do not forget to thank God for all my blessings and maintain my focus on blessings.

• I can't believe this thread started two years ago. I read my thoughts at that time, and time has made a fool out of me. Since then, I spent a year at a community college and made the Deans List. That was good. Then I was diagnosed with a malignant carcinoma of the right parotid gland. Life on hold. Had surgery and 36 radiation treatments. Prognosis is good. That's good. However, I had to rearrange my hairstyle to cover the dent in the side of my face. During that time I took a watercolor class and a drawing class. I was called an artist and asked what I was going to do about it. It was a good question. I realize artists and writers are absorbed by their titles. I am not, and at 62 I doubt I will be. Then, I got a job through Senior Employment. I make $8/hr and work 4 hours a day at the Salvation Army Corps in Athol. I love it. I can use a little bit of all my skills and wow everyone and still have half a day to be retired. Just as I felt settled, I broke my arm which was exceedingly painful. I recovered well. That was good. Then I had an outbreak of shingles across the right side of my face which was beyond painful, I wanted to die.  MDs were treating it as a sinus infection for two weeks. Finally, my surgeon in a House moment figured it out about 2 weeks later. That was good. Rather than steering, I have been steered. I have ceased to plan and just hope and pray. My friend is dying of cancer. She is a gardener and younger than I am. She doesn't want to die. When I see her, I just cry.Humbled after 2 years of not being in control.
  • I hope you habe a door for your box with a good solid lock. and windows with plexiglas. You could thicken the walls with paper mache. I thought of going into the medical billing and coding to get a job. My house is paid for but the taxes are killing me. And the medical bills. And the loss of health. My glaucoma makes it hard to see what I write attimes. I think uits the drops. I see a future but not the goal ditected driven one I had when I could walk. So it has been a process of letting go and redefining myself. Who knew getting older was like people said it could be.?> I am only 60 but find it harder to see what I can dream of for the future.

• After teaching for 35 years, I thought I could find a new peaceful life in retirement where I would write or rewrite all of the pieces I had started over the years, but... and there is always a but. I moved South so I would not have to work and could live comfortably out of my retirement.This worked for a few years, but sometimes I too need a lifeline, not just financially, but  also emotionally.  This is from my blog Blue Notes. It was written several years ago. This was when I thought I knew what I was going to be doing for the rest of life. However, now I have decided that I don't know and maybe I should get back in the race.

"Yesterday was my birthday. Thank you, I am still here. Grateful for a lot of reasons. Knowing that it is His Mercy and Grace that has kept me, I am most grateful.
    Today my daughter and I were talking about "stuff" and we started talking about her father and his new wife. It is a May-December marriage and we were wondering how she liked going away with his parents for the week-end. What does a 40 year old have in common with a group where the youngest is 60 and the oldest is 86???

Later I started musing...about how I now feel at 60 looking at men who are 60ish+ and what I see are "old" men...and I suddenly remember my little friend who was 80ish, but such fun. She would often tell me that she and her husband were now members of the "pat and chat" club. I didn't quite comprehend that until now. It seems that the men that I meet now are very nice but...they seem to have resigned themselves to the "patting and chatting" crew.

I know there's a big gap between May and December but what happens when it's April and June? Hmmmm?? I don't want a young one, no conversation, no similar interests, and an older one ...ditto.

I guess it all depends on how you define it. Is it snuggling, holding hands, knee tag, kissing, etc??

Well, girls we've got our memories
    of  wilder times when they could play
    So slow your road
    Be glad they're willing to try
    Despite diabetes,poor vision, prostate, bad hearts and cholestrol
    Hooray for determination
    So smile ladies and remember past deliberations

• That could be a tough question because I'm conscious about counting those calendar days because I've less time in front of me than behind me. I'm going to finish my memoirs, a collection of poetry, which I work on every day as long as I'm healthy enough to write. I wish I had a lofty retirement package but I retired early...I'd buy an RV and travel.