Tips for New Screenwriters
Posted by
Some of our members write for film and television as a career and some are just starting to learn to think like a screenwriter. Perhaps we can share our knowledge with each other? I just posted (over in Writers in Canada) a few ways to get started learning about how scripts differ from other forms (thanks Eileen!) It occurred to me that maybe that info could be helpful to someone here so I'll repost in this discussion. I'm hoping some of you have thoughts for the new writers among us. How did you learn what makes a good screenplay (and what makes a good screenplay anyway?) /djw
Replies
  • I've collected some free script resources in the left column at THE STORY SPOT (rather than relist them here). Maybe, as a start, you could try something simple and straightforward such as "Liar, Liar" or "The Bourne Identity"or something similar where there is one major plotline and not a lot of complex relationships and/or twists. You'll better be able to see the beginning, middle, end, and protagonist's arc. Maybe even choose a story you don't love or have seen many, many times so you don't get so swept up. Having said that, I think I probably learned the most from breaking down films as I watch them. That means several hours, a fresh pen, and making friends with the pause button and run-time display. /djw