Welcome!
Posted by
Hi, I'm Gemma. I'm a teen author that writes supernatural thrillers and romances. I've always been a HUGE fan of slasher films, the Child's Play series and Freddie Krugar being my favorites, so it's pretty easy to see what got me into the darker side of the fictional universe. As you've probably guessed, I use a lot of really mature themes in my work (violence and gore, pedophilia and child marriage, to name a few). But those things get a lot of backlash, as do their opposites, and I wanted a place where I can talk about those things and where others can talk about them, too. So, if you write darker fiction, or you could help others write darker fiction with your know-how, come on in! If you can help others in there dark fiction journey then it doesn't matter what genre you write in, come talk. I'm looking forward to talking with you.
Replies
  • Sorry for the extremely late reply, Melissa, life got to me. I think the potential opinion of readers is always a stressor for writers--I know it is for me--but especially when darker and more controversial themes are employed in the story. Personally, I haven't had anyone be put off by my dark fiction, but I have been put off by others' fiction. Honestly, there's always going to be some people that DO like dark fiction but don't like a particular dark story or the way a certain author handles some themes--it's unavoidable, and as hard as it can be, it really is best to not worry about too much about it. Some people will enjoy your story, others won't, regardless of the presence of controversial themes.
  • Hi! I'm new to this site, just perusing the links, and this group popped out at me. One of the things I worry about with my writing is the dark content scattered within. I have two series I'm working on, and both have a strong component of rape and abuse. The few people I've allowed to read what I've written have had positive things to say, but I worry about readers being put off by it. Do you find this happening a lot with you dark fiction?
  • Hey C.R.! Sorry for the wait, been real busy the last couple weeks. I'm glad you decided to join! So, if you don't mind me asking, what would you say you write about the most, dark fic-wise?
  • Hey everyone! I'm C.R., and I usually write horror and sci-fi about incredibly flawed characters. I'm especially fan of dark humor, at least, when it's done well and not just for shock value. I'm a fan of horror games, tv shows and comics, and of course, that's where I get most of my influence. Much of the darker aspects of my work touch on mental illness, trauma, and current events, but I also incorporate a lot of dark humor into my work. Pleased to meet you all, and I look forward to talking with you!