• Discussion
    • Roberta Dolan

Publicist

Started by Roberta Dolan Replies (4) Last reply by Roberta Dolan
      Hi CT Writers, My book is being released by SWP early October and I've just made the decision to hire a publicist, which means I need to find one by yesterday! I'm looking for someone on the east coast. My book, Say it Out Loud, is prescriptive...
      • Stephanie Bird

Why did you decide to work with a small or independent press?

Started by Stephanie Bird Replies (6) Last reply by Birdie Newborn
        In this conversation it would be interesting if you also answered any one of the following questions: Did you have an agent or did you represent your own work to these publishers? What is the most rewarding part of this type of publishing? Which...
        • J. Dylan Yates

Reviews

Started by J. Dylan Yates Replies (29) Last reply by Kelly Kittel
          Hello All. It is testament to my current state of mind that I wrote and thought I'd posted a missive yesterday re: reviews and starting a REVIEW discussion. It has disappeared into the ether. So, I'll start again. This discussion could function in...
          • Glo Gray

Books that end with cliffhangers: yea or nay?

Started by Glo Gray Replies (4) Last reply by Inge Saunders
            Today I've been reading about books which end in cliffhangers. The internet  seems quite divided on this as an acceptable thing or not, often vehemently so.   Personally, I don't mind a cliffhanger, as long as the story itself was good. I quite like...
            • Dawn Nicole Martin

Why Do Queen Bees Sting?

Started by Dawn Nicole Martin
              Throughout most of history, women have been told, in both open and unspoken ways, that they were important primarily for performing the roles defined for them by males: conceiving and bearing children, keeping the household, and catering to the...
              • Chrys Fey

Our Books

Started by Chrys Fey Replies (15) Last reply by Linda Spreeman
                One thing I've been wanting to do for a while is to share a list of our books that fall under the paranormal and supernatural categories, as well as fantasy and science fiction. The list below is for the members of this group and only includes...
                • Colleen Mooney

I am looking for Beta readers for my recently completed novella. I am happy to trade beta reads...

Started by Colleen Mooney Replies (1) Last reply by Gina Henning
                  My book is about New Orleans, living and dealing with the quirky characters and lifestyle.  Its a romantic comedy with a minor crime solving element.  While this is fiction, most of the situations in this book have their origins in real life and...
                  • Angela

Your Style-Inspired Prose and Poetry

Started by Angela
                    Hello!  The Written Wardrobe seeks your style stories for the ModCloth.com blog. We publish one piece a month on a highly-read blog platform. Full submission details here: https://modcloth.submittable.com/submit/13337 We used to host a yearly...
                    • Karen S Shelton

Announcing the release of Power To Reign

Started by Karen S Shelton
                      Launch Event featuring Author Karen Shelton San Diego CA, May 6, 2014 – Discover the “POWER TO REIGN” and meet San Diego’s newest author Karen Shelton as she will discuss and  sign her future bestselling book during its paperback release.   Seating...
                      • Stephanie Lennox

What was the last sentence you wrote in your work in progress?

Started by Stephanie Lennox Replies (11) Last reply by Michelle Gwynn Jones
                        Feel free to share the last sentence you wrote in your work in progress here. It would be really interesting to see such a variety of different lines, and it might get a few people interested in your novel!
                      • Hello!

Started by Chloe Valentine Replies (2) Last reply by Lisa M. Cronkhite
                        I am very excited to be here. Currently I am in the process of writing my memoir. I have Borderline Personality Disorder. I am currently in DBT group therapy and have been for over a year. It has changed my life. What lead me to treatment and gave...
                        • Andrea Miles

Book Tour Questions

Started by Andrea Miles Replies (3) Last reply by Liz Gelb-O\'Connor
                          I don't know about you guys, but as I get closer to having a book tour, I know I'm going to have lots of questions so I thought I'd start a new conversation about it. Here's my question for the day: One bookstore I thought about visiting has a 35...
                          • Carissa Chesanek

Hello!

Started by Carissa Chesanek
                            Hi all,  Happy to be part of this great group. I am a dining editor in Miami but also a short story writer and am trying to get my fiction work out there. If anyone has any tips please let me know. Any good publications looking for stories that...
                            • Lone Morch

Online Book Clubs Site -- have you submitted to any of these?

Started by Lone Morch Replies (1) Last reply by Melanie Holmes
                              Fellow SWP authors, I get email from online sites that wants to promote authors and their books. The latest: http://bookclubreading.com/submit-your-book/ You pay $99 to get your book listed.  Have any of you submitted your books to these services...
                              • Zetta Brown

Southern Writers Summer Blog Tour 2014...Yea or Nay?

Started by Zetta Brown Replies (15) Last reply by Zetta Brown
                                Please refer to the message I sent the group. Basically, I'd like to get feedback/answers for the following questions: 1) Do we want to do this? Y/N 2) What should the theme be? 3) What should the grand prize be? It has to relate to the theme of the...
                                • Lorelei Elstrom

Translations anybody?

Started by Lorelei Elstrom Replies (13) Last reply by Ottilie Weber
                                  Hi,  I read that Germany is the biggest per capita consumer of romance novels in the world. So I went on Elance.com and found a translator for my book who will work on a percentage of the German profits.  She seems amazing. I'm so happy that I don't...
                                  • Nancy Andres

Gaining Improved Self-Confidence

Started by Nancy Andres
                                    Today I'm meeting a new group of people by reaching out to the writers/authors/artists who call themselves the Mercenary Creatives do Lunch. I must admit I'm nervous. I’m excited. I’m both eager and anxious about stepping out of my box. I’m going to...
                                    • Ann Bliss

Good Manners for Bloggers

Started by Ann Bliss Replies (2) Last reply by Ann Bliss
                                      I saw a short piece on another website that was directly relevant to a post on my own. I'd like to include a link to that piece in my next post. Before I put the link up, do I need permission from the writer? When I send my request, I'll include a...
                                      • Roberta Dolan

American Authors and Publishers Guild

Started by Roberta Dolan
                                        AAPG is a non-profit alliance of authors and publishers and related professionals working together to develop and promote quality books, encourage reading in the community, and raise awareness of the availability and depth of literary talent of our...
                                        • DeLani R. Bartlette

Choosing a male pen-name

Started by DeLani R. Bartlette Replies (1) Last reply by Lorelei Elstrom
                                          Hello! I see this group hasn't had a discussion in a long while, so I hope to spark one. I've been turning something around in my brain for at least a couple of years: I think I should write fiction under a pen name. The reason for this is because I...