How did you find your agent?
Posted by
I'd like to hear how agented writers found their agents. I've been writing letters & emails to the point of receiving compliments but no contracts... any hints??
Replies
  • Hey Kate! I did research on Publisher's Marketplace, and then sent out batches of queries, via snail mail and email based on the agent's preference. The first batch was for top-tier agents, and the second was for second-tier (for nonfiction/journalism, which is what I write). I think you just need a very strong, to the point query letter. Good luck! Erin
  • Buy Writers and Artists Yearbook. Find what agents deal with your genre. Find out if they're taking on new customers and contact them if so. Alternatively, go along to writers/publising conferences and try to make contacts there.
  • Judith, I'm working on query letters now too. Have gone the agentquery.com and it was very helpful. Would love to see yours, especially since it's was published at Writer's Digest as being an example of what works. Would you re-consider publishing it here? I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it.
  • Great seeing all these responess. Kate, I'm there with you. I'm going to be doing the agent hunt in the next week and all these suggestions are great!
  • Hi Dasaya If it's a time crunch that keeps you from querying, just do one a week or one a day, as you can fit it in. That's what works for me. :)