Epiphany
Posted by
I am a first time author. My (first) memoir "But My Brain had Other Ideas: A Memoir of Recovery From Brain Injury" is coming out (Through SWP) in October. I have another non-fiction book (not a memoir) coming out probably in the summer (via traditional publisher). So I've been swamped with non-writing stuff over the last too many months. I kept writing but just couldn't get into the groove like I used to. Finally, a month plus ago, I had an epiphany about writing--I don't need to wait until I have a decent chunk of time to write, I should just write, even if it's just a haiku, a paragraph, a quick stream of consciousness. Morning is the best time for me to write, but I' felt I should do publication related stuff (editing, answering emails, rewriting, editing, and more editing). But now, whenever it's even remotely possible, before I do anything else, I take time to write new material. Sometimes it's only for five minutes. But then I'm set for the day. And I feel so much better about myself.
Replies
  • Deb, thanks for joining and congratulations on your first memoir and also you non-fiction book as well! I agree with your epiphany. I have been doing the Artist Way for several months now. I just write three pages every morning. It is an amazing experience. Writers Write. So Write On!
  • Thanks Deb for sharing. It seems you have developed a great writing practice. Congrats on publishing your first memoir. Please keep us posted so that we can support you. I look forward to hearing more about your creative journey!